Carleton St Peter
|Carleton St Peter|
St Peter, Carleton St Peter
Carleton St Peter
Carleton St Peter shown within Norfolk
|Area||3.19 km2 (1.23 sq mi)|
|- Density||9 /km2 (23 /sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Parish||Carleton St Peter|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
|List of places: UK • England • Norfolk|
Carleton St Peter is a civil parish in South Norfolk lying 8 miles (14 km) south-east of 1⁄2Norwich, there is no village as such but the Church provides a reference point and is 1 mile (1.6 km) north-east of Thurton and a similar distance south of Claxton and just east of Ashby St Mary.
In the 2001 census Carleton St Peter contained just 15 households and a population of 29 spread across the 3.19 km2 (1.23 sq mi) of the parish. The church cannot be reached by road and sits in a small graveyard in the middle of a field reached by a short path between ploughed fields. The tower contains four bells but they cannot be rung.
The parish extends northwards to include the Beauchamp Arms public house on the south bank of the River Yare and the nearby Buckenham Sailing Club. These lie at the end of Ferry Road although the ferry across to Buckenham on the north bank stopped running before World War II.
Between Carleton St Peter and Claxton, on the banks of Carleton Beck, lies Ducan's Marsh, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and one of the richest areas of unimproved wet grassland in East Norfolk.
- ↑ Carleton St Peter parish information [South Norfolk Council]
- ↑ Carleton St Peter
- ↑ carleton.htm
- ↑ http://www.english-nature.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1000294.pdf
- Ordnance Survey 1:25000 map of Carleton St Peter
- St Peter's Church
- Buckenham Sailing Club
- Buckenham Ferry, 1893
- Buckenham Ferry 1930
- Beauchamp Arms Hotel, c1960