Piccadilly Slant-Abraham's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Piccadilly Slant-Abraham's Cove|
|— Unincorporated community —|
Location of Piccadilly Slant-Abraham's Cove in Newfoundland
Piccadilly Slant-Abraham's Cove
|Province||Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Time zone||Newfoundland Time (UTC-3:30)|
|- Summer (DST)||Newfoundland Daylight (UTC-2:30)|
Piccadilly Slant-Abraham's Cove is a designated place in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It is located on the island of Newfoundland, along St. George's Bay, on the Port au Port Peninsula. The DPL consists of the fishing villages of Abraham's Cove and Piccadilly.
The area had a population of 436 in the Canada 2006 Census.
According to the local population, the Abraham's Cove site was first settled in the late 1800s by the Duffey family, of mixed Acadian and Mi'kmaq ancestry. The population kept livestock and fished for cod, herring, and lobster. With the increasing scarcity of commercial fish, many residents found employment in the nearby Ernest Harmon US AFB in Stephenville, which operated from 1941 to 1966, or at the provincial highways depot. Today, very few local residents still engage in fishing, and many men and women seek seasonal employment elsewhere in the province or in Nova Scotia.
Piccadilly has its own liquor and confectionery store, which is called Parkview. Its park is located a kilometer from Parkview. It is a beautiful place for camping, the beach is sandy and a lot of people swim and go clamming on the shoals. It has a great view of the bay and nature trails. Camp sites, water, bathrooms, changing rooms, and electricity are available. Down the road about one kilometer is Piccadilly Central High School, which is known as "The Big Hole". There is a wharf across from the Colliers, and marine centre, where the fishermen sell lobsters and fish. There is a church called Our Lady of Fatima where the community gathers on Sundays.